Books: New and noteworthy: Debbie Macombere – USA Today – USA TODAY
USA TODAY’s Jocelyn McClurg scopes out the hottest books on sale each week.
1. Any Dream Will Do by Debbie Macomber (Ballantine, fiction, on sale Aug. 8)
What it’s about: A woman looking for a fresh start wanders into a church and strikes up a friendship, and maybe more, with the lonely pastor, until her troubled younger brother shows up and threatens her newfound happiness.
The buzz: The prolific romance writer is a stalwart on USA TODAY’s Best-Selling Books list.
2. Rescued from ISIS by Dimitri Bontinck (St. Martin’s Press, non-fiction, on sale Aug. 8)
What it’s about: Bontinck, a former soldier in the Belgian army, tells the true story of rescuing his teenage son, who, after becoming radicalized, joined ISIS and disappeared into Syria.
The buzz: “A loving and revealing tribute to the father-son bond,” says Publishers Weekly in a starred review.
3. Barely Legal by Stuart Woods and Parnell Hall (Putnam, fiction, on sale Aug. 8)
What it’s about: Manhattan attorney Herbie Fisher, Stone Barrington’s protégé, gets a starring role and a chance to be a hero in this adventure involving loan sharks and mobsters.
The buzz: “A fast-moving tale with a light touch,” says Booklist.
4. The Locals by Jonathan Dee (Random House, fiction, on sale Aug. 8)
What it’s about: Post 9/11, the residents of a working-class town in the Berkshires become disillusioned after they elect a New York hedge fund millionaire as mayor and he runs amok.
The buzz: “An absorbing panorama of small-town life and a study of democracy in miniature,” says Kirkus Reviews.
5. The Bettencourt Affair: The World’s Richest Woman and the Scandal That Rocked Paris by Tom Sancton (Dutton, non-fiction, on sale Aug. 8)
What it’s about: Covers the headline-making court case over L’Oreal heiress Liliane Bettencourt (now aged 94 and worth more than $40 billion) and who would inherit her fortune.
The buzz: “A natural for book clubs … (with) an unbelievable cast of characters,” says Booklist.