5 new books not to miss this week, including Tom Hanks’ stories – USA TODAY
When the weather turns brisk and fall is in the air, it’s the perfect time to curl up with a good book. We’ve picked 10 new releases that will captivate your imagination while you sip on some hot cocoa.
USA TODAY’s Jocelyn McClurg scopes out the hottest books on sale each week.
1. Endurance by Scott Kelly (Knopf, non-fiction, on sale Oct. 17)
What it’s about: In this memoir, the astronaut tells his life story, beginning with his childhood as a “terrible student,” through the year he spent aboard the International Space Station.
The buzz: “Fascinating stuff…a worthy read for space buffs,” says Kirkus Reviews.
2. Uncommon Type: Some Stories by Tom Hanks (Knopf, fiction, on sale Oct. 17)
What it’s about: Seventeen short stories, each featuring a typewriter in some way.
The buzz: The Academy Award-winning actor collects vintage typewriters and apparently isn’t afraid to use them.
3. Leonardo da Vinci by Walter Isaacson (Simon & Schuster, non-fiction, on sale Oct. 17)
What it’s about: A biography of the great Renaissance painter (The Last Supper, Mona Lisa) who also had a passion for science.
The buzz: Continues Isaacson’s series of books about creative geniuses, including Einstein and the No. 1 USA TODAY best seller, Steve Jobs.
4. The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine (Harper, fiction, on sale Oct. 17)
What it’s about: A scheming young woman determined to be the “next Mrs. Parrish” insinuates herself into the lives of golden Connecticut couple Jackson and Daphne Parrish; written under a pen name by sisters Lynne and Valerie Constantine.
The buzz: A “devilishly ingenious debut thriller,” says Publishers Weekly in a starred review.
5. Reckless Daughter: A Portrait of Joni Mitchell by David Yaffe (Sarah Crichton Books/Farrar, Straus & Giroux, non-fiction, on sale Oct. 17)
What it’s about: Looks at the life of the folk singer/songwriter, now 73, who penned such classics as Both Sides Now, Woodstock and Free Man in Paris.
The buzz: Yaffe is the author of Bob Dylan: Like a Complete Unknown.