Grieving woman who lost her son to SIDS pledges to help other mums by fundraising for monitors – goodtoknow
A grieving mum is trying to help other parents after her 3-month-old son died from Sudden Infant Death syndrome (SIDS), by buying them special monitors.
Elisha Palmer her put her son Knox down for a nap last December but tragically, he never woke back up.
Elisha said on her Facebook page: ’4 months ago today our life turned upside down in an instant. Our beautiful son Knox was 3.5 months old when he fell asleep and never woke up.’
‘The heartache and devastation from his loss is the worst thing a parent can ever feel. Our sweet baby with his infectious smile was gone just like that.’
Before Knox’s death Elisha was going to buy a baby monitor – an Owlet Smart Sock, which monitors the baby heart levels and oxygen. However, she didn’t think it was a necessity.
After Knox passed away, she thought she needed to alert new mums about SIDS and that these sorts of monitors exist, and is now using her own story to spread the word.
‘If we would have had a way to know, to be alerted, when he stopped breathing there is a very good chance that he could have been saved and he would still be with us,’ wrote Elisha.
‘After a lot of research and speaking to other parents we found that a device exists that monitors infant heart rates and oxygen levels while they sleep. The device alerts you if the levels are abnormal. This device is the Owlet Smart Sock. One of our biggest regrets is not having this for our son.’
On the Facebook page, The Knox Block Foundation, she also shared how they would be providing the devices to new mums who want one: ‘We are sharing our story and using it to hear your story and to help.’
‘If you are not able to afford an Owlet Smart Sock, please fill out our online application. Tell us your story and why it is important to you to have an Owlet for your little loved one.’
And the company are also footing some of the bill too: ‘Owlet has agreed to match Knox Blocks dollar-for-dollar. Every Smart Sock we purchase through Knox Blocks will be matched!’
The Facebook page, which has other 5,000 followers, is also sharing similar stories, along with their fundraising efforts.
Since the campaign took off, she has also clarified that she doesn’t believe the Owlet device stops SIDS, but that it could have alterted them sooner to their son’s condition.
‘Please know we are NOT saying that the Owlet Smart Sock stops SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) or diagnoses health issues,’ she explained.
‘We strongly support Safe Sleeping and believe all parents/guardians should know how to perform CPR. We feel that if we had been notified when Knox stopped breathing, we could have performed CPR sooner which may have lead to saving him.’
‘We would also like to clarify that Owlet did not approach us. Our foundation was started by Knox’s parents, Mark and Elisha. Owlet learned of our story and mission through a family friend that reached out to them. We are very grateful to have their support and dollar-for-dollar match’.