Science experiment injures 12 children in Texas – USA TODAY
HOUSTON — Twelve children were injured in a flash fire from a science experiment at a church school in the Houston area on Tuesday morning.
Six children from the Yellow School at Memorial Drive Presbyterian Church were taken to the hospital with burns. All but one had been treated and released by Tuesday evening. Five other children were treated for less serious burns by private physicians and one child was hurt after being trampled. The injured children are all 3 and 4 years old, according to the Village Fire Department.
Employees at the church in the Bunker Hill area of Houston said the injuries were caused by a supervised science experiment that took place outdoors.
“I don’t know anything about this particular experiment other than what I’m telling you — that is was outdoors, there was an accident, it involved flames and some children were exposed to the flames,” said Bob Giles with Memorial Drive Presbyterian Church.
The Memorial Villages fire chief later said the teacher mixed boric acid with methanol to show flames changing colors.
“I don’t want to make any pre-dispositions that anything went wrong here. It was an unfortunate accident,” said Chief David Foster.
Randy Keeney’s 3-year-old son was among the injured.
“I know he has some burns and they want to see if he inhaled any chemicals,” Keeney said.
Both the fire department and Texas Education Agency, which oversees the school, are investigating.
Follow Jason Miles on Twitter: @JMilesKHOU